Urban Farm in Charlotte Seeking Full Time Farm Manager
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
The Urban Farm at Aldersgate is a 6.7 acre parcel in East Charlotte. The farm plan is designed and is ready to be executed. Using sustainable farming practices, the farm will grow vegetables, herbs, berries, fruit trees and flowers for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, U-Pick produce field, and wholesale clients. The farm partners with other nonprofits that offer programs that teach and inspire our community about sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, and watershed protection. The farm is open to the public.
The Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning and oversight of our sustainable vegetable farm, which includes the production of vegetables, herbs, berries, fruit trees and mushrooms on 6.7 acres. This is a production-oriented position, but because we are open to the public and regularly host nonprofit/school programs and events, the Farm Manager will also demonstrate flexibility in scheduling daily tasks to accommodate other farm programs. We will be expanding our environmental programs over the next several years, and we seek a Farm Manager that is excited to help integrate our working farm with broad-based environmental education objectives, including active demonstration of organic agriculture best practices and continual improvement of our production systems while maintaining an ethic of long-term land stewardship.
- Supervise, plan, schedule, and participate in all aspects of our produce operation: seeding; greenhouse management; cultivation and field prep; transplanting; weed and pest management; harvesting, washing, and marketing crops
- Develop crop production plans for greenhouse, high tunnel, and field to cultivate a diverse revenue stream through our CSA, retail farm stand, wholesale, and U-Pick
- Monitor and be accountable for the progress of all field work
- Train and work alongside the farm crew as needed to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Manage all aspects of farm record-keeping, including harvest records, sales, and farm expenses
- Order materials and supplies; maintain inventory and keep records of same
- Use mechanized farm equipment; recommend new implements and/or methods to increase productivity and quality of produce
- Attend monthly community engagement meetings
- Assist in fundraising goals and drives specific to the farm
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets on 4 acres or more
- Farm management experience or 2-4 years of supervisory work in a related field
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience training staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Experience meeting production targets and revenue projections
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or implement new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and email marketing apps
- Ability to lead and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with retail markets and farm marketing is a plus
- Experience with creating insect/pest management plan
- Familiarity with variety trials and experimental design
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Knowledge of natural lands management and ecosystem services
- Livestock and pasture management experience desired but not required
Schedule and Compensation:
The Farm Manager is expected to work till the work is done during the growing season, with reduced weekly hours in winter. This is an entrepreneurial position and we are looking for a 5-year commitment. Our intent is to scale this model to create an Urban Farm network all across the region. Compensation is commensurate with experience; anticipated starting salary is $40,00. This position will be promoted to Farm Director as we grow.
To apply, please email letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 references, including ‘Farm Manager’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.